12 April 2020

The Solitude, Part 3

Have you ever just awakened in a rush and realized you're late to write a blog post? No, me neither. But I have awakened and realized it just might be Sunday again, so a blog post would be a way to fill the morning. So once again we return to the subject at hand: my writing process. Why? Because many have asked me the infernal questions: Where do you get your ideas? and How do you write all of that stuff? So I've tried to think it through and come up with answers. Then I wrote it out for the sake of some future creative writing class I likely will never teach.

I revealed the 'getting ideas' part already (see previous blog posts). The next step is to get started. The opening scene. The first paragraph. The first sentence. Once upon a time or It was a dark and stormy night are not allowed. Start with the main character doing something in the first sentence. Or you can go with a statement about the weather or the collapse of society. Something - anything - just to get some words on the page or screen. 

When I was a young writer I was fascinated by the setting of the story, mostly because I wrote science fiction and alien worlds were...fascinating. As I later moved into contemporary literary fiction, I focused on the protagonist before the setting - because, well, the setting was already fairly well known, being contemporary and such. Here is what I thought of while driving from Winnipeg to Edmonton last summer because the road was there:

Step 3

When I get the first germ of an idea, I need a character to carry the story. In my younger writing days, I was all about interesting plots and the characters were cardboard. Then, in my graduate school days, I was ushered rather forcefully into the world of character-driven fiction. So now I have to begin with an interesting person - or, at least, an ordinary person with an interesting problem.

 To begin a novel I do some test writing. I begin with the principal character (usually the protagonist) and see where it goes. Mostly I am experimenting with the voice. How does that character speak? Can I imitate that character's way of speaking? Voice patterns, way of thinking, world view? Dialect or vernacular? Age? (In my novel A Girl Called Wolf, I wrote the main character speaking as a young child with limited vocabulary at the beginning, then as an older child, then a teen, and finally an adult.) A lot of fiction today seems to favor the 1st person point of view, especially in YA. I remember most of the stories read in my youth were in first-person. A lot depends, in my opinion, on the story (what happens) and the narrator (who tells what happens).


 If the protagonist has a unique voice, a way of speaking that is compelling or who has special knowledge, then 1st person (I, me) makes sense. But sometimes you want a little distance between the reader and the narrative/characters so 3rd person (she/her, he/him) is more appropriate. Also, if you are working with a large cast of characters, 3rd person can allow you to get into each one's heads.


 In 3rd person you can still focus on one character, as I do in my current WIP, or you can treat all the characters as actors on a stage. A "close 3rd person" still allows you to hear the character's thoughts and know his/her feelings. You just cannot know the internal thoughts and feelings of other characters. In my collection, I have only 3 novels using 1st person. One other was originally 1st person but I changed it to close 3rd to give the story more space.


This bunny has no purpose here other than to be a bunny.
Therefore, as various writing gurus have said and I have to agree, the only reason to use first-person for narration is because the speaker has a unique perspective on the story and can convey it in an interesting way. Otherwise, third-person will do quite nicely. Make it close third-person if you still want that tight perspective. 

For example, in my forthcoming novel, I keep the "camera" on the shoulder of my protagonist/ main character throughout, even though I use third-person. However, in doing so, we must be very careful not to hop into the head of another character. I cheated a bit in one scene by having her overhear what the protagonist was speaking into a phone in the next room. But I did not enter her head and reveal her thoughts; only physical action - which may suggest thoughts but not official expose them. I stayed cool, man, cool.


NEXT: The Story Takes Off


---------------------------------------------------------------------
(C) Copyright 2010-2020 by Stephen M. Swartz. All Rights Reserved. No part of this blog, whether text or image, may be used without me giving you written permission, except for brief excerpts that are accompanied by a link to this entire blog. Violators shall be written into novels as characters who are killed off. Serious violators shall be identified and dealt with according to the laws of the United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment