03 May 2020

Exchange

Let's take a break from our regularly scheduled writing lessons to allow me to announce the launch of my latest novel EXCHANGE which was delayed because of the worldwide crisis which went viral.  The book was ready to launch when we were all ordered to stay at home for the sake of our collective health. Prior to this situation, it was gun violence which most occupied our national attention, and that is the subject of this novel.

Sure, most authors borrow bits from their own lives to stuff into stories, and I did, too. But only if you really knew me would you be able to detect those. I've never been involved in any shooting, but the mass shootings we've endured the past twenty years have still greatly affected me. Last summer (2019) there were two major incidents about a week apart. One problem with blogging, I've found, is that just when I was ready to post a light-hearted blog about nothing important, there would be some tragedy like a shooting to mar my attempt at humor. It was often difficult to post. I do not mean to say my blog posts are more important, however.

At the same time, I had been planning last spring (again 2019) for someone special to join me here - and that factored into the plot of the story, as well. So as I traveled around last summer, having not much to do while regretting that there would be no wonderful reunion after all, I put all the elements together. A what-if story! What if this happened and then this also happened? How would the people in the situation handle it? What would they do? That's got to be awkward. ...And the book was born.

EXCHANGE - from the phrase foreign exchange student, but having other connotations - is a contemporary (set in the world of today; I even set it in my own city), literary (focuses on the principal character's thoughts and feelings) crime thriller (there is a big crime to start the book and more crime that follows, leaving the reader wondering what will happen next and if the characters will survive) and romance (a subplot of flirtations and eroticism which may or may not lead to a relationship) - no spoilers. That covers everything, I think; I left out the dragons this time. 

Or, as the back blurb states:

An Unspeakable Crime.

High school teacher Bill Masters and his family
have a comfortable life in suburban Oklahoma City -
until his wife and teen daughter are killed in a mass shooting.

Overwhelmed with grief, Bill struggles to put his life back
together - or construct a new life from what remains -
even as he must combat continuing crime that threatens
him and his home.

A Second Chance.

When exchange student Wu Ting "Wendy" Wang arrives
from China for her year at an American high school,
she has no idea what has just happened to her host family.

She's a constant reminder to Bill of why his family is gone.
Yet he is determined to protect her at any cost - ready 
to use his father's gun. And he will not fail this time.


Beta readers have said it is a "slow burn" kind of story with a few 'red herrings' and unexpected twists that lead to a shocking conclusion. Just as I intended when I wrote it. Who could've known? 

Available now - finally! - in paperback and for Kindle. Thanks for your patience in waiting for it's release.




---------------------------------------------------------------------
(C) Copyright 2010-2020 by Stephen M. Swartz. All Rights Reserved. No part of this blog, whether text or image, may be used without me giving you written permission, except for brief excerpts that are accompanied by a link to this entire blog. Violators shall be written into novels as characters who are killed off. Serious violators shall be identified and dealt with according to the laws of the United States of America.

2 comments: