28 June 2020

The Solitude, part 7

Those of you who follow this blog may be surprised that it continues. That fact is only due to the unfinished discussion of my writing process. This time last year, for example, I decided one morning that I didn't need to blog, that I could call my absence a summer vacation. Unfortunately or not, that vacation from blogging lasted deep into the winter holidays. This year, however, every week is summer vacation. 

Besides, those of you who have finished your first complete draft of something novel-like will need instruction on what to do next. So, in the interest of time, I shall post 2 steps here!
Part 7

Once I have come to the end of the story and can call the manuscript complete, it is time for revision. Getting the whole story out is fine and dandy but now the work begins. I like to describe this as a sculptor throwing a clump of wet clay on a wheel (the basic first draft) and then crafting it into something beautiful (the finished manuscript).

The first step for me is to go back to any scenes where I already know I need to do more tweaking. I usually edit previous sections during the process of composing new text, so I don't expect a major editing pass - but I still do it. After this spot checking, I'll return to the first page and read straight through to the end.

My goal in the first read-through is to fill out scenes, make them more complete by adding description, writing more and/or better dialog, clarifying any information, and sometimes cutting out material that is no longer relevant based on how the story actually finished. Not all seeds I plant come to fruition and must be weeded out. So, generally, the word count will expand during this stage.

In the second pass from start to finish, I focus on scenes as individual stories, making sure the arc is effective and the other elements fit the purpose of the scene - which should be to move the plot along, develop characters, or emphasize a point or theme which is important to the story (rarely done). Occasionally, I'll have a scene that is purely for fun, which may also serve to develop a character. I seldom "kill my darlings" but some do get a firm wrist slap.

Presently [sometime in October 2019], I'm in the third full pass of my current just-finished novel, titled EXCHANGE, and this stage involves trimming words from sentences and cutting whole sentences from paragraphs which don't seem to be needed. I may also cut entire paragraphs but because I revise as I compose, I usually don't have a lot of that - unless I decide an entire scene is no longer needed.

I don't care about reaching a particular word count, although I'm still cognizant of desired counts for various genre. Because epic fantasy readers expect a fat book, I let my EPIC FANTASY *WITH DRAGONS go to 233,000 (after editing and revision down from 255,000). But some stories have their own inherent length, like my contemporary adventure novel A GIRL CALLED WOLF, which hit 86,000. Making it longer, usually by adding scenes, would have lessened the story's effect.
Part 8

So I have gone through the whole manuscript a few times, working on the arcs, the pacing, weeding out unnecessary words, sentences, and some paragraphs, and punching up the dialog. I've stood back and looked at the story from a wider perspective to make sure it all fits together and works as a drama. I'm satisfied with what I've got.

Now I do the little dirty work: proofreading. I run spell checker constantly as I write and revise day by day. However, errors still make it through. I know a few of my pet errors, the kind of typos that a spell checker won't catch. For example, I seldom write the word "form" in a story but I do use "from" a lot, but I tend to type "form" instead of "from" so I will run a special find-and-replace for that thorn in my side (and a few others).

Other funny typos are where I've made a correction of a perfectly good word during revision so the correct word is now incorrect. I found a typo in one of my books where what showed was "he" but the correct word should've been "the".  Yes, that was so funny (not); try finding that needle in a haystack. Sometimes I write "by ear" so I'll find an error I've spelled as "won" which should be "one". It is maddening.

I have a short list of words I specifically check because I know I overuse them: all, now, then, that, almost...and so on. A lot of typos that survive scrutiny and remain in the finished book are the result of the proofreading itself: the imperfect cutting or inserting of text, where something is left behind. That includes punctuation. Cut a phrase from a sentence and put a period where the comma used to be? Done. Or maybe not. Maybe the period is next to the comma that didn't get deleted! Aaargh!

One thing I'll admit to is when the page is laid out "justified" (the text goes evenly from margin to margin like printed books have it), I get a little OCD if there is too much spread, the gaps between words are too wide - also if the line of text is too compressed. I will often rewrite the sentence to reduce the gaps or the crowding in the line as it lays on the page just to improve the "look" of the page.

Then I will give the manuscript one final read after putting it away for a bit, trying to be a typical reader, avoiding the urge to change anything - other than a lingering typo. My finished manuscripts average 1 typo per 10,000 words, which for an old full-time English teacher with fading eyesight, is rather good. Don't misunderstand: The work done in Parts 7 and 8 is a long process requiring many reads, a lot of searches, plenty of word wrangling. It is not a one and done step.


NEXT: The hard part (writing a blurb)



---------------------------------------------------------------------
(C) Copyright 2010-2020 by Stephen M. Swartz. All Rights Reserved. No part of this blog, whether text or image, may be used without me giving you written permission, except for brief excerpts that are accompanied by a link to this entire blog. Violators shall be written into novels as characters who are killed off. Serious violators shall be identified and dealt with according to the laws of the United States of America.

2 comments: